Sunday, March 21, 2010

put that away

As part of my rehabilitation into the civilized world (I've been pretty much comatose at home for the past week and a half), I hit the mall with some friends yesterday. I figure if I have to walk around, might as well do it somewhere that offers new shoes and built-in snack stops (thank you almond pretzels). On the wanted list was a spring/summer dress, preferably that could be tamed down for work and required little to no thought (aka special cleaning instructions, ironing, etc). I've blogged before about frustrations with clothing, and while shopping always on some level creates self-loathing and detriment to your psyche, this particular trip highlighted the latest annoyance on my fashion radar:

Clothing should cover your tush.

Now I realize that this is the 4th or 5th season now of dresses/tops that are made with leggings in mind. But I've just never been able to get behind the concept of buying a piece of clothing that automatically requires buying yet another piece of clothing. I do not own leggings, and God willing I never will have to. First of all, leggings are another trend that only flatters the 1% of the female population who do not have to worry about junk in their trunks. But for the rest of us who decide that chocolate cake is just a necessary part of life, we're faced with a bit of a challenge.

Second of all, I think I wore through my leggings phase during my childhood. And not just any leggings; we're talking full-on stirrup pants in every color made. I wore them to church, to school, to skating practice, you name it. Under skirts, under T-shirts, even under jeans as a sort of long-underwear effect for sledding or snow-involved outings.

But especially in this spring's fashion, the problem is now becoming that leggings are viewed as old news, or out of style. However, the garments usually made with leggings in mind are just as short, just as capable of creating a nice breeze through your legs. But girls and women just choose to go without, creating the all-t00-common exclamation from me of "you should wear your lady business on the inside of your clothes." I don't want to become the modesty police, but you've all seen it. The walk that, if just a bit more swagger was added, could easily resemble a Rielle Hunter photo shoot.

So ladies, if you're one of my friends who can rock the leggings look, rock on. And if not, just make sure we don't get to a place of reinstating the "but it's as long as my fingers" test for your next purchase. I finally convinced my dad a year ago that this wasn't necessary...

3 comments:

nancy said...

Do you have this trend on the east coast: the little dresses, belted in the middle, with a full skirt--and almost no coverage. Yikes.

alyssa said...

I'm a fan of leggings as extra coverage while wearing (appropriate-length) dresses, especially while living in a city where I get catcalls for showing an inch of leg.

Leggings as pants? No.

Erin said...

I'm buying you leggings... when I finally have money :)