Tuesday, March 16, 2010

surrey with the fringe on top. in front of Ira.

Today, I got a delightful surprise. Instead of the usual 1-3 p.m. lull in my daytime TV lineup, I was delighted to find the classic "When Harry Met Sally" had just started. In addition to being a huge Meg Ryan fan, this movie is a STAPLE in any movie lover's repertoire. The movie is famous for two things on the surface: the idea that men and women can't be friends, and the fake orgasm over a turkey sandwich (on my bucket list, btw). But the film contains many subtle, but just as poignant, lessons:

1. "I never wanted someone to say, 'why don't you take me to the airport anymore?'" - Not quite as melancholy as Barbara's power ballod, but still gets on the list of dissapointments in a relationship. While Harry spends the whole movie justifying decisions that aim to save future pain, I think taking people to the airport is a true sign of friendship/love/whatever. No one wants to take a cab to an airport.

2. "If you want your taxes done, go for it. But when it comes to humpin and bumpin, Sheldon is not your guy." - We judge people by their names. Let's stop lying to ourselves.

3. "Do me a favor, for your own good, put your name in your books right now before they get mixed up and you won't know whose is whose." - The hardest part about breaking up is getting back your stuff. Especially when that stuff is your books.

4. "You were going to be a gymnast? Journalist. Right that's what I said." - I give Harry credit for this one, even though he's billed as a shallow chump for a lot of the movie. But I think when you haven't seen someone for 5 years, or even maybe 5 months, it's the effort to reconnect that counts. Let's stop getting caught up in all the damn details.

5. "He's never going to leave her." - NEVER. I'm just starting to have married friends, so I haven't had to deal with a friend dating a married person. But the mistress never gets the man. (Side note: I couldn't come up with a term for a man dating a married woman. I was trying to e gender neutral and not imply that it's only women who date married men. Chalk another one up for sexist language, ladies).

And, just in case you've never seen it:


No comments: