Thursday, July 31, 2008

my strongest suit

When I wake up in the morning, I have two main concerns: what will take the least amount of time to eat for breakfast, and what I should wear. Breakfast is usually the choice between an apple for the road or a quick bowl of honey nut cheerios. But the second item proves to be much more of a conundrum. I would describe my workplace as "business casual," meaning as long as the appropriate body parts are contained and you don't wear a logo T-shirt, you're probably good to go. However, this still leaves a very wide range of combinations to choose from. This is a typical morning run-down:

"Hmm, I think the black skirt would be nice today. Except the blue top is dirty and with the black I can't wear the brown cardigan. Ok, green top it is. But it's a little windy outside so the skirt might not be the best choice. So just put the green top with the gray pants. But then do I wear the sandals or the close-toed flats? Ok what interviews do I have today? There's a chance that I could have to go out to Fort Walla Walla meaning I would want not-nice shoes, but I could also have to go meet with the lady at the VA office and that would require nicer shoes. But the grey pants are too short for the heels. I like the white bermuda shorts, but only men can wear shorts to work. And there's always the chance that I'll get assigned to breaking news at City Hall, meaning I should totally scrap the green shirt and wear something collared..."

I think I put more energy into my daily ensembles that most college interns, but it's not for nothing. Whether we like it or not, first impressions are a big part of success in the professional world. And your appearance is a significant part of that impression. Think about it: if you went it to meet with a bank to set up a mortgage, you would think twice about investing hundreds of thousands of dollars with someone who can't keep his or her shirt tucked in. On the flipside, if you went to a farmer's market looking for fresh local berries, you would trust the farmer who appeared to actually work with his or her crops, rather than someone who can't be bothered to get their hands dirty.

And unfortunately, I think this pressure falls more to women than men. I don't mean to go on another "women are treated as sexual objects and considered slightly incompetent in some professional settings" tirade. But the balance between feminine and professional clothing is often quite the challenge. If you dress too much like a "woman," meaning you highlight merely acknowledge the female figure, you're sometimes pegged as a flake or someone who really doesn't know what she's doing. However, if you wear a white collared shirt with black slacks and orthopedic shoes every day, people might say you don't care about your appearance, translating that apathy into a lack of interest in her work. As shallow as it sounds, I think "What Not to Wear" has been an invaluable resource for professional women. It teaches women of varying sizes, ages, and body types how to reflect their personalities and own styles, but within guidelines that are appropriate for a particular setting.

This environment-appropriate appearance is just as important in journalism, I believe. But here, the game is more about camouflage. You have to create rapport with sources, and if they get a vibe that you are either way above or below their environment, you're toast. Granted, doing your research beforehand, especially when covering a topic or feature outside your normal circles, is crucial. But fitting in and looking like you can relate to a person I feel is just as helpful to getting better quotes and a more conversational interview.

No comments: