Wednesday, July 30, 2008

get on down the road

As I was driving back to Walla Walla Sunday night, I glanced down at my dashboard to see how much more gas I was going to have to pay for this summer. And my eyes missed the gas gage altogether when they caught a glaring "2" in the odometer. Yes, that's right: my junk of a car has finally hit the 200,000 mile mark. As of this morning 200,058 miles, to be exact. I have never seen a car over the 200,000 mark, let alone driven one on a daily basis. But this milestone (pun absolutely intended) has come with a price. Since I bought it in November of 2004, my little red 1983 Honda Accord has had:

-3 belts replaced
-1 head gasket replaced (right after the belts were done. no good.)
-required the assistance of the AAA tow service at least twice a year
-2 starters replaced
- 1 rear view mirror fall off in mid-commute to school one morning
-1 battery run down by my lovely sister, who left it running with the radio on for half an hour
- sported the label of "Bootylicious Bacon" across the back windshield
- 1 incident of being completely wrapped in caution tape by my loving friends
- carried a body in the trunk for approximately 6 months (it was a dummy, but very realistic)

And this year my Whitworth compadres will get the terrifying privilege of riding along for the next 200,000.

2 comments:

alyssa said...

Ah, senior year. A great time to do random shit to Joy's car. It was just too easy.

You did leave out the peanut butter incident during girls' night. I remember helping clean that up the next day during my free hour, and I was afraid that I was going to break off one of your car door handles because a piece of it was cracking.

joy said...

Oh god, yes. Like three months later my handle was still sticking. But a chicks over dicks night was worth the sacrifice, I think.