Sunday, June 21, 2009

the first week

- Baltimore is home to the first monument built to George Washington in the United States. It's located in the Mount Vernon neighborhood (not the mount washington neighborhood, ironically).

- The Book Thing is quite possibly one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's a free bookstore. Free. As in you walk in and take whatever you want, and they never run out because people are donating so much stuff all the time. This week's trip resulted in copies of Ian McEwan's "Saturday", Mary Doria Russell's "A Thread of Grace", The best American Short Stories of 1993, and a copy of "The Miracle Worker".

- I saw my first firefly. He lit up green for a while, then yellow, then pink. Then Phin (a dog) ate him.

- You are friend or foe depending on whether you consider Maryland a northern or southern state. I haven't made my decision yet.

- The School of the Arts
, the school featured in Step Up 2, is tucked in a corner behind the financial district.

- I have to learn to stop saying the word "pop" instead of soda, so people will stop looking at me funny.

- I ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant in the part of town where Hairspray is set. Yes, parts of the movie were filmed here. And the town still has a yearly festival called Honfest to celebrate the hairstyles, among other things.

- In church this morning, they gave all the kids shakers and instruments to play during the last song. It was quite possibly the most beautiful chaos I've ever heard.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Let's add "the book thing" to the list of things that blow my mind.

Unknown said...

Exploring/learning about a new city is always fun. After having a family friend give me an abridged history of San Francisco in two days, I had the sad realization that I now know more about San Francisco than I do Seattle – and that if I were to play tour guide in Seattle for someone, it would look ugly.

Kelsey said...

Let's add "the book thing" to the list of things that blow my mind.