Sunday, September 26, 2010

a lesson in moderation

As Weakley and I perused the Baltimore Book Festival today, we tried to keep in mind Alyssa's latest encouragement to be frugal with the printed word. Despite the calling out of several beautifully worn books (and the constraints of limited cash on hand), we managed to stick to a minimized pile of purchases:

-The Sparrow (which I couldn't believe I didn't have my own copy of). Sometimes you just want to have your own copy of something so if I die suddenly at a young age I can prove I had good taste.

-The Liar's Club, by Mary Karr. Recommended by Weakley from a creative nonfiction class.

-The Awakening, by Kate Chopin. A classic that's always been on the need-to-read list.

-The Pleasure of my Company, by Steve Martin. I loved Shopgirl and was intrigued by his newer short work.

-Selected Poems of Rita Dove.

-A year subscription to the Baltimore Sun Sunday edition. What can I say, it's an investment in my potential future job opportunities.

1 comment:

nancy said...

Ah, wonderful choices. I just heard a piece on NPR about people's libraries. They live after.