Sunday, October 3, 2010

alternate reality: a challenge

I waste entirely too much time in front of the television.

When I was little we were theoretically limited to one hour a day, and that hour could only consist of PBS programming. Don't get me wrong, I loved Kratts Creatures and Wishbone like none other, but sometimes Nickelodeon may have "accidentally" ended up sucking me into what my parents considered the epicenter of all childhood sins.

As I've gained the ability to choose my own TV channels, I can't say I've made better choices than ones dictated to me. Sometimes I just sit there and 2 hours later can literally feel my soul grimacing in defeat. I've always said I watch reality/crappy tv to prove to myself that my own life is intelligent and full of good decisions (aka to not leave a hook up date alone in my room while I make a meal first. Thanks Jersey Shore). But lately I've realized there's a fine line between relaxing escapement and just a plain waste of time.

Which brings me to my October challenge: no extra tv. Now granted, Glee, Grey's Anatomy, and Private Practice can stay; I'm not going to just toss out all my stress relief techniques. (Plus John Stamos and Taye Diggs are looking quite attractive these days). This also includes online viewing. Netflix Instant Play, while the best invention ever, makes it too easy to look up and realize 8 episodes of Weeds later that I could be doing something more useful, like my 8 loads of laundry or Hopkins homework. But other than that, it's go find a book, or actually write for fun, or, god forbid, exercise consistently. Also not included would be news-watching or the upcoming PBS series on God in America starting Oct. 11. I consider being informed as counting toward the self-edification process.

We'll see how this week goes...

2 comments:

alyssa said...

So far, my efforts to watch less TV is failing. I hope you do much, much better at cutting back than me.

Katie said...

Wow, I'm proud of you!! Good luck.