Sunday, April 4, 2010

granny smith crisp: a review

Task 1: shop for ingredients
-Since I cook pretty infrequently, I didn't have flour, sugar, brown sugar, or cinnamon. I felt so woman-like putting the powder-covered packages in my Safeway cart. Like I was connecting with so many before me who have taken the plunge into actual cooking. Thanks to my Grandma's housing community's cookbook for the assistance with this bonding experience.

Task 2: peel and pare 6 cups of granny smith apples
-First of all, I didn't really know what paring was. I assumed it was some sort of fancy cut, but really it just meant to peel, remove the seeds, and make the apple look like regular apple slices. I did surprisingly well at the peeling part, especially since I didn't have that thing you can use to take out the core. Approximately 40 minutes.

Task 3: prepare the dry mix for the "crisp"
-Done and done. I was always the dry mixer of my sister and I (she was usually in charge of the more lively jobs like beating eggs and such). Approximately 5 minutes, most of which was spent successfully keeping the flour from casdading all over our tiny kitchen.

Task 4: cut in the butter
-Epic fail. I didn't know if this instruction meant to literally cut the 1/2 cup of butter into small pieces and just toss it in, or if I should break it up so it was evenly distrubted in my beautiful dry mixture. I went with the first option.

Task 5: bake and pray
-I probably could've let it "crisp" more on the 35 minute side of the 30-35 min instructions. And because of the butter situation, parts of the dry topping were left uncrisped and untouched. But once you mixed it in, no harm done.

All in all, a delightful way to end our Easter courtyard feast.

1 comment: