Sunday, April 18, 2010

dream from an afternoon nap

My family decided to vacation in the Arctic, somewhere between the literal north pole and Canada. We rented some sort of trailer that was supported by a combination of blades and stilts, which secured into the ice.

My younger sister and I ventured out into our surroundings, a mix of snow, ice, and a sort of old-time ghost town. About 50 feet from our trailer, she found a polar bear carcass. Well, it was more like the skin of a polar bear with the head still attached, like you see in tacky people's living rooms as a sort of rug. She and I both started to cry, because polar bears happen to be one of our favorite animals. But somehow through our tears, we realized that a shark or orca whale could at any time break through the ice to make the carcass a tasty snack. And since apparently I'm just as irrational about whales popping up at any random moment in dreams as I am in real life, we scampered back to the trailer.

But then, we realized the only reason a whale was a possibility was because the ice was starting to thin. Pools of water started appearing, and I quickly feared the trailer was not equipped with flotation capabilities. I ran into the only store open in the ghost town, and met a curious woman cutting up small pieces of rye bread and wrapping them in beige napkins. She started to tell me about the lone family in the ghost own, an Inuit mother with three small children who lived off microwave dinners run by a generator. We carried on a saddening conversation about the current state of the arctic, social media, and some sort of game involving a hamster ball and "hot seat" type questions. She confirmed my fears of the trailer's lack of buoyancy, and I realized by this point my family was lost to the sea.

(Sorry Karen Weakley, this is the spiciest my life has been lately).

No comments: