Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pier 1 Imports, aisle nostalgia

Every year when I come home for Christmas now, my mom specifically asks for my Tri-Cities "to do" list, if you will. This year especially I think she was feeling the sting of the empty nest more than usual since my sister is studying in Australia for her spring semester (oober jealous). I always sort of have the usual pit stops on the schedule, mainly consisting of delicious food that can only be found here (Atomic pizza, spudnuts of all varieties, Nancy Smith's chocolate chip pie) and local businesses my soul, and wallet, love to give themselves to (Barracuda's, The Bookworm).

But as I thought beyond just the shopping list of calories and new-to-me books, I realized that home in its morphing form is becoming just that: a checklist. Looking out to see the snow-capped Blue Mountains or meandering by the rivers will always feel like second-nature. This was especially true as I found the wonderful company of old friends who were able to But this isn't a place I can just be anymore. Too many haunts are still frequented by ghosts of decisions past, or have changed to the point of being almost unrecognizable (read: church). Once I'm done with my godfather pizza and potato flour maple bar, I hit a rut. Next year I suppose I'll have to add a bagel and chinese food stops to delay the rut a bit longer.

Despite this somewhat downhearted realization, I did receive the gift of wonderful company with old friends, an unexpected pleasantry this year for a lot of faces I haven't seen in quite some time. It's nice to know that so many of the ghosts are friendly ones.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been having a very similar experience that last few times I've been in the TC - hit up the necessary haunts (which is starting to include generic chains that we don't have in DC) and spend sufficient time with family members.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of enjoyment when it's a checklist of activities.

That said, getting together with old friends is becoming a sweeter and sweeter experience. :)