Saturday, November 13, 2010

our economy thanks you, Norway

In the Fell's Point neighborhood of Baltimore, you can usually see a myriad of cultures represented. A large latino community is about 4 blocks north of the water, and the pubs that line the harbor waterfront represent Irish, German, and Italian backgrounds.

Then last week the Norweigans came to town. In their huge effing boat.

This is not the first time foreign boats have invaded the harbor waters to use the fire hydrant. A few months ago I was just walking along, eating my soft pretzel, when I turned around and was face to face with a 12 year old brandishing a large automatic weapon aboard a ship from the British Royal Navy. (Ok I'm sure he wasn't actually 12, but his baby face was way too young to have that size of firearm strapped to his side).

And I can understand that when you've been at sea for god knows how long, you'll need to go grocery shopping. Fresh foods, basic supplies, and maybe a few splurges, all reasonable. So imagine my surprise when the 14 year old-looking Norweigans (I guess Scandanavians wait a couple years before enslaving children in their armed forces) started unloaded their 15-passenger van with NOTHING BUT AMERICAN BEER. Case after case of Coors Light, Budweiser, and Bud Light. The van was full floor to ceiling. Well done, my friends. Well done.

On a side note, I also gave myself a pat on the back for correctly identifying the ship's flag of origin. Thanks Winter Olympic standings graphics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.