Tuesday, June 29, 2010

just don't ask me how to fix an appliance

It finally hit me this weekend as I was in New York City with some extended family:

23 is the year I'm expected to have my business together.

I thought 22 would be that time, but considering my almost total upheaval of location, lifestyle, job description, most people gave me a break if I didn't know how to read IKEA directions or decide what sort of life insurance policy I wanted.

But as I was walking around the city with my cousin, who is the same age as me, I had to keep reminding myself that I was allowed to take the subway alone, or buy a second piece of cheesecake without someones permission or scolding. It was a weird sensation, to realize that a stranger would consider me responsible just because of my age.

Some goals I have for becoming an even more effective "responsible" adult:
1. Cook from a recipe at least once a month (baby steps).
2. Read a non-fiction book for every 3 pieces of fiction.
3. put my laundry away within 48 hours of its completion.
4. Create and maintain a budget in hard copy, rather than my current system of "oh well I'm sure I can afford these shoes."
5. read at least 2 news sources a day

We'll see if year 23 brings me any more luck at actually following through with goals...

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Budget suggestion from a blog stalker: mint.com. It's free, it imports all your financial info automatically from whatever bank(s) you use, and it's much more fun to use than a traditional paper or spreadsheet.

alyssa said...

Ah, yes. I'm finally realizing that I don't need permission from my parents to do anything. I still feel semi dependent on them, but I'm going to cut myself off soon... And maybe they'll start treating me like an adult.

Also, the bf recommends mint.com as well. He'd be overdrawing from his checking account regularly without it.

Katie said...

These sound like fun goals to work on together when I'm with you this summer!!