Saturday, February 13, 2010

reel it in

As I was sitting in the movie theater earlier at Valentine's Day (a solid choice), tolerating 20 minutes of pointless ads for Sprite and "don't add your own soundtrack" warnings, I found myself in quite a familiar place.

Since moving to Baltimore, I believe I've averaged about 2 movies a month, give or take. This is quite the increase in my movie-going habit (and subsequently quite the increase of my butter popcorn intake). In honor of the pending Academy Awards season, I thought I'd pass along some of my top favorites (in no particular order):

1. Brothers - One of the most powerful films I've seen since "The Constant Gardener". A husband is thought to have died in Afghanistan in the war, and his brother helps out with the wife and two daughters he left behind. (No real spoiler alert that he is, in fact, alive). Particularly moving in the film is the performance of the two daughters (Taylor Geare, Bailee Madison). I saw the film just days after Obama had announced the increase of troops to Afghanistan, but refreshingly the film wasn't making a political statement about war; it made a statement about the human condition, at its best and its worst. (So take that, A.O. Scott). Also PHENOMENAL performances from the small but mighty cast.

2. Fame - A guilty pleasure for sure, but so worth it, if nothing else then for the opening cover of John Legend's "Ordinary People". I tend to be weary of re-makes, but the film took a different tone and angle than the 1980 original that made it quite refreshing. And who doesn't like dancing around a movie theater on a Friday night during the credits...

3. Couples Retreat - A suprisingly not superficial waste of $8.25. Although the previews make this out to be just another relationship-bashing comedy that uses tastless sexual humor as a crutch for poor writing, take a closer look. I found the movie both funny and full of "mmm hmm" moments.

4. It's Complicated - HILARIOUS. HILARIOUS. HILARIOUS.

5. The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock deserves the best-actress nod. I actually saw it the first time with my students, which was quite the outing.

Flicks that didn't quite make the top 5, but were still enjoyable: "The Time Traveler's Wife", "Invictus", "Sherlock Holmes", and "Precious". Still on the need to see list are "Nine" and "Up in the Air".

And no, I have not seen "Avatar". I waited almost 10 years to see James Cameron's other big hit, so I figure I can at least wait for this one on DVD.

2 comments:

nancy said...

We just saw "Crazy Heart." Jeff Bridges definitely deserves the Oscar. And I love Maggie Gyllenhall and Robert Duval.
I did see "Avatar," and almost threw up from the 3-D experience. Bummer.

joy said...

I'm not a fan of 3D, either. blame my father for my genetic weak stomach.