Sunday, November 29, 2009

"it all sparkles"

This was Andrew Smith's sentiment as we meticulously studied every engagement ring in Tiffany's. twice. (props to him for being such a good sport about the hour and a half outing). And I feel like his sentiments reflect my general feelings about New York City.

This trip was my third to the Big Apple, and every time I go it's almost an unreal experience. It's as if the city is in some sort of Oobleck vortex: Not quite liquid, not quite solid, fun to play with and inevitably always slipping through your fingers. I've still only been to 2 of the 5 boroughs (although this trip I ventured into Greenwich Village for the first time), and still I just walk around, staring at the tall buildings and feeling like a girl from the sticks. That feeling was amplified this time, as my traveling companion was there on her maiden voyage.

I mean, some artists spend their whole lives writing, singing, or capturing images from this one city. Almost any good romance film is either set there, or refers to NY in some reference to the fufillment of true love (including You've Got Mail, my all-time favorite). Some have gone as far to say the city stars as the fifth character in "Sex and the City."

It's just, in Andrew's words, a place of sparkles.

P.S.: Weakley already posted her details of the trip, so I refer you to her blog for the specifics.

No comments: