Sunday, November 1, 2009

let's get physical

Halloween is probably one of the most stressful holidays for me, for one ridiculous reason: the costume.

I think Sarah's exact words to me last week went something like this: "Bacon, your costumes always blow." And she's right. I went through the ambiguous princess phase in early elementary school, and then moved into the attempts at sweet costumes that never quite made the cut. I believe I've tried both the M&M and Hershey Kiss costume, to name a few. But I never had one of those "all in one" costumes you can buy, that come with hat, sword, hydration materials, shoes, and pet accessories as needed. I always went for fast, cheap, and most durable in the face of inclemate weather. I also never can get behind the excuse to wear as little clothing as possible and pass it off as some sort of kitty cat, nurse, or officer of the law.

So this year, in a new town and somewhat new lifestyle, I knew that I had the chance to set a new tone. The goal was to replicate Olivia Newton John's "let's get physical" video. It turned into a conglomeration of bright spandex, tights, and orthopedic velcro shoes (note to any senior readers: you can spice those things right up with a nice pair of knitted leg warmers.) And I have to say, I was convincing. I got a handful of compliments on the costume, plus an excuse to dance like an idiot and pass it off as "fitting into character."

Other odd/admirable costumes spotted around town: a life-size box of Franzia wine, a guy with sponges that spelled "me", to represent being self absorbed, Wolverine, Abraham Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address (written on chart paper turned into a tube dress), and Roseanne.

2 comments:

Mara said...

Way to have a great costume this year! I thought mine was great- I was Sue Sylvester from Glee, with the sweet track suit and all, and I thought it was a pretty good look alike! BUT nobody here watches Glee so everyone thought I was a personal trainer. Who the hell would be a trainer for Halloween? Especially in an ugly track suit?!
Anyway, totally a bust, but next year I'll have to try something else.... LOVE to see a photo of you though :)
I heart you Joyful!

Unknown said...

Roseanne?...
Oh, and i want pictures too.