Sunday, October 4, 2009

christmas isn't the only time for wish lists

This is one of the few times I'll cross the line between blog-life and teacher-life.

My students have independent reading every day for 40 minutes as part of my school's new focus on boosting literacy. While the program is getting off to a somewhat rocky start, I'm really excited for its potential to give kids the chance to get super stoked to read. They can choose any book, as long as it's at their reading level.

Problem is, my school gave me about 30 books, only about 5 of which my students would have any interest in or actually be able to read.

So here's the solution. I've created a wish list through Amazon of books that are popular in Baltimore, as well as at varied reading levels that reflect the abilities of my students. I know a lot of people out there say to themselves "wow, Joy is great. I wonder how I could help her out in her first year teaching?" Now you have your answer. Browse the list, or add your own. It doesn't matter if the book is used or new, either. It gets shipped directly to me, and I would be eternally grateful!

Here's the link: Ms. Bacon's class library

1 comment:

alyssa said...

I'll see what I can do.