Sunday, September 6, 2009

my sleep partner

For the past month, I've been sleeping on a high-quality air mattress, because I didn't have time/a vehicle to go shop for a real bed. The air mattress actually was not bad; I rarely woke up sore or had a restless night. But it was time for the upgrade to the beds of big kids.

Like any good 21st century shopper, I scoped out prices and information online before I hit the sales floor. I already knew which store I was going to, so I was reading through their tips section about shopping for a new mattress. One of the key questions that kept coming up had to do with my "sleep partner." What my sleep partner's space needs were. What his/her comfort level was. To make sure if I did indeed have a sleep partner that I was getting a large enough bed for the two of us to sleep comfortably. And then, once I finally got to the real store and told the friendly but indifferent saleswoman that I wanted a full-size bed, she replied "oh, so it's just for you then?"

Well, I did consider the needs of my sleep partner. His name is Manuel. He's about 10 inches long, fuzzy, with two ears and he smells real good. He's the rabbit that Alyssa sent me for my birthday/graduation/moving across the country comfort gift. He's been in my bed with me ever since. Manuel and I discussed it, and he had the perfect answer for a sleep partner's needs: "Your comfort level is my comfort level." So semi-firm, full sized mattress and box springs it was. And my sleep partner will have plenty of space, thank you very much. If he doesn't like it, he can sleep alone on the air mattress that will now go in the closet.

1 comment:

alyssa said...

1, Screw that mattress sales lady and her assumptions. I still sleep on a twin sized bed, and my bed life is not lacking.

2, I knew you and Manuel would be a perfect match.