Sunday, May 10, 2009

battle of intelligences (I mean, sexes)

In my Interpersonal Communications class on Friday, we had a sort of battle of the sexes session. It involved the women on one side of the room and the men on the other, and we asked each other "questions" about relationships, dating, social norms, etc. There were two questions/statements I felt should be taken beyond the classroom. (As a disclaimer, I was pretty underwhelmed by the depth of questions people came up with. Just because it's Christian school doesn't mean we don't have the same issues as everyone else).

1. "Why do girls that claim they're feminists and all for women power and stuff still want to be courted and expect the guy to pay for everything? Isn't that hypocritical?"

I also point out that the male student said the word "feminist" as if it were synonymous with a child molester's name. I've heard two responses to this so far. First, that feminism means something different to every person who would label themselves as such, and it can't be assumed that all "feminists" believe all traditional roles should be eradicated. But the second, and my favorite of the two, came from my friend Jasmine: "They expect us to take care of EVERYTHING ELSE for the rest of the relationship (kids, the house, schedules, etc) so they can throw us a bone for a few months and pay for dinner." Well said.

2. This wasn't a question, but rather a study my professor shared about what men and women are attracted to. For men, it was first and foremost physical characteristics. For women, it was the "potential for monetary security." Here is my response, for both generalizations: phooey.

No comments: