Saturday, January 19, 2008

bacon, served crispy

We went to the temples at Telohuacan (butchered the spelling) yesterday. It was really the first time I´ve visited anything super ancient, so that was pretty cool. They were built sometime around 150 AD, but possibly earlier. The Telohuacanian people built the complex, which is said to be the first sign of a muli-faceted city center in indigenous Mexico. The Aztecs discovered the site and named it 400 years later. The temples look pretty much like your stereotypical Aztec or Mayan ruins: a trapezoidal shaped pyramid with steps going up at least one side. (If you´ve seen The Road to El Dorado, it´s pretty much dead on.) We climbed both the temples to the sun and moon gods, as well as explored some of the other structures.

The only thing they forget to mention is that when you build a temple to the god of the sun, it means you get really really close to the sun. And then you get burned.

It was overcast when we got off the bus and was actually supposed to rain, so none of us slathered on the usual layer of sunscreen. But then an hour later, when it got sunny and toasty outside, we thought nothing of it when we took off our sweatshirts and various outerwear. All I can say is, I hope I don´t have to rotate my shoulders anytime soon. The damage is less than I expected last night when I took my clothes off and realized that my skin was the equivalent color of a pomegranate seed. But at this point, it´s really only my shoulders that took the brute of the beating. What can you do.

No comments: