Sunday, January 27, 2008

as the sun sets

In approximately 16 hours, I will be boarding a plane in Leon to head back to the United States. A few thoughts:

This afternoon we had a despedida, which is basically just a big catered dinner, with all of the students, our families, and a few friends that we´ve made here in the last few weeks. We all gave our madres flowers, and shared short words of gratitude for welcoming us into their homes and lives. I feel so incompetent. How do you tell someone thank you for giving everything they have, both materially, emotionally, and spiritually, to help you experience their culture and country? Especially with all of the bumps in the road that the ValdepeƱa family experienced this month, I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

After the dinner, we came back to the house and gave our family gifts that we brought from our respective hometowns. The four of us are all from various parts of Washington, so nothing was distinctly unique. Sarah gave the family a mug made from the ash of Mt. St. Helens, and then we showed them pictures online of the eruption. We also showed them pictures of our families and of Whitworth. After spending so much time emersed in someone else´s family, it was refreshing to be able to talk about our own family structures and way of life.

Over our game of Dominoes and hot chocolate, we discussed the war in Iraq. It seems like everyone in the world except Americans knows what is happening with our country. Our family here is very knowledgable about American politics, and thinks that Bush is pretty much the worst thing since cold tortillas. I also shared with them my brother´s experiences in the war. I am saddened by the fact that I´ve talked more about the war in Iraq and my opinion of it with a family in Mexico than I have in my own country, where my words could make a difference. This trip has definitely motivated me to stay informed about American foreign policy.

I watched the sunset tonight, and cried a little inside because it was probably the last time I will see the sun for a good 3 months. Maybe my sunburn will just freeze off when I get home.

No comments: