Sunday, July 5, 2009

The 4th in Philly

Last night, I saw what it means to earn the title of best fireworks show in the country. After sitting through an hour and a half of Sheryl Crow re-living her glory of the '90s (if that's what you can call it), we finally got to the whole reason we walked 2.5 miles through Philadelphia: to watch people blow stuff up.

The show was synchronized to music intertwined with famous speeches from history, including Obama, Kennedy, and Martin Luther King Jr. And the music was surprisingly not cheesy "God Bless America" renditions. In fact, one of the songs, a recording of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," was probably one of the best arrangements of that song I've heard.

It was a weird 4th for me for some reason. This is a holiday that doesn't have any real continuity for me as far as traditions. My sister is terrified of fireworks, so our family has never done the whole do-it-yourself shows or anything. Sometimes we went camping, sometimes I was with extended family, other times I was sitting on top of our mini van with Alyssa in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Now I can add Independence Hall to the list.

1 comment:

alyssa said...

the wal-mart parking lot with the sister bacons probably my fave 4th of the past several years.