Saturday, November 8, 2008

copyright schmopyright

Sarah and I (along with my sister and two other friends from school) attended the Jason Mraz concert last night at Spokane's IMB Performing Arts Center. Besides the show being OUT OF THIS WORLD AMAZING, I was especially impressed with the tour's theme of user generated content. Before the show started, screens at the back of the stage were showing slideshows of pictures fans sent in by text message, along with captions and messages to their friends. Messages repeatedly reminded us that "photos and videos ARE allowed, so please take them and share them with us." At any given moment during the show, you could see dozens of phones or digital cameras recording the performance.

As much as I respect artists who crack down on illegal downloading and file sharing, I respect musicians that can say their music is more important than the bottom line. In the case of this concert, it's not like people wouldn't go to the show because they could watch someone's video post of it on YouTube. I guess it fit with his album title of "We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things." And since I already had the sing and dance parts thoroughly covered, it was refreshing to not have to worry about stealing intellectual property just to capture a memory with my best friend through my phone's camera.

No comments: