Sunday, November 16, 2008

Carmen San Diego style

Growing up in the Tri-Cities, most of my classmates and I swore we would graduate high school and move to a town with excitement, glamor, or at least more concert tour stops. But as a look ahead to a potential future with Teach for America, I'm finding myself slightly stumped in answering what seems like such an easy question: what do you look for in a place to live?

My original plan, and probably still top choice, is the D.C. area. I've visited there three times in my life, and with the exception of one bitingly cold winter day, I love the city. It has plenty to do and see, a large majority of which is free to the public. I also enjoy its public transportation system, as well as diverse culture.

But beyond that, I really have no concrete reason of wanting to move there, or for that matter, not wanting to move somewhere else. I could, I suppose, take the advice of several articles and sites that offer "top places to live"-type lists. Take, for example, findyourspot.com, which offers a simple online quiz to determine your list of top cities. Questions focus on weather, cultivating culture, teachers and doctors, outdoor recreation, and regional preference. I was surprised at how many different way this quiz asked how important college or professional sporting events are to my happiness. According to my results, my top spots include Memphis, Little Rock, Honolulu, Norfolk Virginia, and most of Texas. Not exactly my ideal locations. Other lists include Money Magazine, which rates Plymouth, MN as the top city for 2008, based on its "Topnotch schools, good jobs, affordable housing, low crime, an active outdoor culture."

Then I could move on to look at lists geared toward specific genres, such as "30 great cities to start out in" (ranges from Atlanta to Seattle to Cleaveland). Criteria for this list included "major breadwinning," "social and recreational scene," "crib sheet," and "navigating."

But in searching through the lists and reading all the statistics, I'm realizing that no one asks the questions that have more significance than whether I can go clubbing on a Tuesday for only a $5 cover. Questions like "will I be able to fly home for Christmas affordably?" or "how likely is it I'll get so lost in the first week I'll never find my apartment again?" I still haven't really come up with any sort of criteria, or even a definition of what I consider a "good place to live." I would love any suggestions.

4 comments:

alyssa said...

I'm just as lost as you when it comes to picking out a place to live. I honestly don't know if 8 months from now I'll be across the country, out of the country, or in the same exact city I am now.

I don't really know what to tell you. In my experience of moving around, I adjusted and came to love each city for its own characteristics, making it difficult to answer when people ask me which place I like best.

I think you could survive in most places and maybe even like it there. If not, you always have the option of leaving.

Anonymous said...

At this point in my life, I'm thinking about where I need to go to do what I want to do (aka, wherever I can get employed).

Other than that, I try to think about what places I couldn't live and narrow down from there. So, things like weather, relatives and community size are factors in that.

I guess it comes down to what your priorities are at this point and how much value you place on each of them.

Unknown said...

You can come live with me in California/New Zealand if you want.

Unknown said...

Come to DC! I know where the best housing is, and it's been an amazing place to live. The whole city is very liberal, and very invested with all things political. It's a very intellectual place to be. (Oh and you need to visit After Words if you come out here, bookstore + bar. Fabulous.)

From the whole work aspect, the schools are pretty good, but there are a lot of areas that seem to be moderately neglected. Teach for America also has DC listed as one of the places where you can do the program and earn your MA at the same time, if you're interested.

Of course, I didn't even mention the scale of networking opportunities, but I think that it can almost go unsaid at this point... It's amazing.