Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The curious color

Last year, I was an avid colorer. My mom and sister left a box of crayons and Lion King coloring book on my bed before they left me at college, and since then my collection has grown to include Power Puff girls, dinosaurs, Disney Heroes all Grown Up, and a few others. I enjoyed the focus that coloring requires from me, and the ability to shift my attention to something besides Victorian literature.
This year, I haven't made nearly as much time to utilize my coloring books. But for my Whitworthian writers, I decided that computerized certificates were lame and meaningless. Instead, I colored and mounted a character on colorful paper.
As I was working on this project, I needed to find the perfect shade of blue for Dori, from Finding Nemo. The original blue wasn't getting the job done, nor was the darker indigo. I had one more option: cerulean. As I reached for this color, I knew that my wildest dreams were about to come true. The vivid blue was the perfect fit for the job, and as I replaced the crayon with a sigh, I was reminded of my many coloring adventures throughout my childhood, and my many encounters with this particular color.
First and foremost, I remember never being able to pronounce it. In fact, my fear of mispronouncing the color kept me from using it, because I wouldn't ask someone for it from the community Tupperware bin of assorted colors that was present at any decent arts & crafts activity. Sadly, I settled for the straight blue, or, if the expanded crayon boxes were available, I might have bravely asked for the cornflower. But never cerulean.
This fear kept me from creating the masterpieces that could be making me millions. The next time you pick up a box of Crayola with at least 24 crayons, check this bad-ass crayon out. You could even ask for it en español : Pasa el cerúleo, por favor. Or the less useful French of céruléen. In whatever language or manner you choose, try this simple test: Color an ocean. Your basic cresting waves with 2-3 black V birds in the sky. Color half with your normal choice of blue hue, and half with the far superior cerulean. I promise, your life will be changed.

3 comments:

alyssa said...

I love cerulean!

alyssa said...

Also, good choice on moving to blogger. Every year I'm confronted with a new blogging website that I'm tempted to switch to but never do, mostly because I like all of my entries being in one spot. So kudos to you for being able to make the leap.

Unknown said...

Cerulean has always been my favorite crayon color.