Monday, August 16, 2010

planes, trains, and a Vermont adventure

Train:
pro:
  • excessive leg room. As in my legs didn't touch the seat in front of me if I put my knees up
  • No one asks me if I want a beverage every 20 minutes
  • (could also be a con): no security lines. I could've packed 20 pounds of shampoo and no one would have been the wiser.
  • more spacious bathroom facilities
  • less likely to be sitting next to a screaming child with ear problems from the pressure changes
  • access to a cell phone, and outlets to charge said phone or other electronic devices
  • significantly cheaper

con:
  • 13 hours, and I only took enough OTC drugs to sleep for about 4 of these.
  • The last 4 hours I had to ride backwards because of the track changes. No good.
  • More likely to be sitting next to a screaming child because they're stuck on a train for 6 hours and can see freedom just beyond the window.
  • no window shades
  • no safety information presented except to mind the gap


Plane:
pro:
  • Only takes about 4 hours, including layover.
  • Easier to sleep
  • more acceptable to fear for your life due to the possibility of freak accidents.
con:
  • Two small planes in a row. I could tell you the eye color of every passenger, aka TOO SMALL.
  • 30,000 feet in the air, including a stint over a large body of water.
  • Larger ratio of wasted time due to my freakish need to arrive at an airport no later than 2 hours before takeoff.
Jury is still out on which I'll choose next time...

No comments: