Sunday, May 2, 2010

a powerful word

In the vein of Alyssa's latest theme of becoming real adults, I had my first "real" adult vocabulary experience:

I said a decision was irresponsible.

Now don't worry, it's not anything my mother would disapprove of. But the word just slipped out, in a normal conversation, in a tone that said I no longer needed an adult to tell me what I should be doing with my time. And I'm even a person that has always prided myself on knowing the "right" thing to do. But there's something about that word, something frumpy almost. It carries a connotation of wasteful selfishness. It drips off your tongue, loathing the unfortunate soul it is uttered upon.

I also have no doubt I have many more irresponsible moments to look forward to.

3 comments:

alyssa said...

Hmm, something I haven't really thought about.

Thanks for the shout out.

Being in the teacher/tutor role too, I have had instances of me using 'adult' vocabulary. When I worked with kids, I felt a little sick after trying to discipline them. Now, when I scold my adult learners, I feel mostly awkward.

joy said...

I've just started asking my kids "excuse me, may I ask what you're doing?" It takes less energy than yelling that calling someone an uncircumcised penis face is not really appropriate.

alyssa said...

Another word I use with my students: impatient.

Then there are times when I'm the one who's impatient.