Friday, September 26, 2008

The things that can happen

Since I've been on a bit of a hiatus from the blogosphere, I've been feeling quite detached from the Internet world. Instead of reading 20-30 articles a day from various news sites, I maybe skim the headlines of two American sources before I have to scamper off to the next thing. But in the time I have had to be an informed individual, here are the stories I found that you may have missed:

1. TRL (Total Request Live) is going off the air in November. In other words, the part of my life that was lived out with Carson Daly from 3:30 to 5 p.m. every day is now being canceled. This means MTV will have even less music-based television, showing yet again how the culture created through music tends to dominate over the music itself. Get ready for more "My Super Sweet Sixteen" marathons that we should be asked to tolerate.

2. New York Times' columnist Maureen Dowd finally showed how the West Wing wasn't just a bunch of theoretical, ratings-driven mumbo jumbo by creating a conversation between the show's presidents, Jed Bartlet, and Barak Obama. Good stuff.

3. The View is becoming somewhat of an authoritative voice when it comes to political analysis. Who knew that when I sat on my couch and was rooting for Elizabeth Hasselbeck (then Elizabeth Filarski) to survive the Australian Outback, I would be rooting for one of the up-and-coming daytime co-hosts of today. Although I do think she wears entirely too much pink.

4. I wrote a sports column for The Whitworthian as a last-minute space filler. I'll never escape.

3 comments:

Weakley said...

love the dowd article. favorite part, because this is what my thesis still is in my brain:
"the people who want English as the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it."
thanks, Bush.

nancy said...

so glad you're posting. hey, nat and I coming coming for the whitworth preview thing on oct. 12, 13. maybe see you?

joy said...

I would love to see you both. Sundays are production day for The Whitworthian, but I can sneak out for a while, and you could come up and see the big bad world of college journalism. Monday I'm free from like 10-2 or 3-5, so it's pretty open. Just let me know what your schedule will be. Yay!