Friday, April 25, 2008

the day has come

For any of you that knew me before college (or really I guess anyone that knows me at all), this next statement might come as a bit of a worldview shocker:

I'm becoming a morning person.

I know. I can hardly believe it myself. After years of having the covers pulled off me two minutes before breakfast starts and alarm clocks that might as well be in another room of the house for all the effect they have on me, my ways are changing. Oh sure, I still love to sleep in past a normal lunch hour or just lay in my bed because I have no good reason to act otherwise. But I'm slowly discovering all the things I have missed by sleeping through one of the most peaceful times of the day:

1. There was no line at the coffee shop when I got there. None. They had my drink ready before I even finished scanning my card.
2. I have the bathroom to myself. So when, like today for example, I experiment with a new hairstyle that ends up looking like a space helmet, no one is there to mock me.
3. I don't feel rushed about anything. Sure I have things to do, as usual, but it just feels like there is more time in the day to get it all done at a rate that doesn't drive me to insanity.
4. Like the coffee shop, I also have the media office to myself. No one ranting about the latest primary, no one freaking out because yearbook proofs are still missing. Just me, and my coffee, and the keyboard.
5. I won't be late to my first morning meeting (breakfast with James. I'm always late. No one is surprised.)
6. I can actually read today's morning headlines in the morning.
7. I don't feel as lazy as I sometimes project myself to be.

I've got to try this whole "get out of bead" deal more often. Just not this Saturday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't believe you.

Weakley said...

you just blew my mind. now do you finally see why i woke up so quickly at camp, in LIFE? things go missing without the morning, my friend.
and yes, to inform you, i have become my mother with that last statement.